Andy Mcnab

Forum

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 297
Strange how after eating a Chinese meal one always feels absolutely famished within the hour! ((posh voice))

Back to AM's DW: still pondering book cover "Brooklyn Bridge" the overall content mostly set in UK...

He's done the tree hugging theme, he now has the Passion, Heartache (current theme) & Hunger route through Africa, inclusive corrupt governments and "aid workers/save -our-planet-protesters " caught up in the aftermath of white gold traded for arms...Cue Carrie, and GreenPeace-esk organisation and George in on the act of dirt trading dirt....

>>By devonwren   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 10:08)

DW, you should buy your chinese food in a more upmarket establishment then you wont be poisoning your system with MSG and you wont get that empty feeling.
AM must have a ghost writer for any "greenpeace-esq" stuff, he has no understanding of that kind of think, I know from conversations with him, the bottom line is all important. He would even vote for Dubya given the chance!

>>By a rose by any other   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 12:14)

Ah well one good tongue deserves another.
I have slapped my hand oh supreme Florker.

>>By Nomad   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 12:17)

AM must have a ghost writer for any "greenpeace-esq"

???? Perhaps some good research will do the trick.....
Quite some expertise on that territory - even here on Flork.

He might even enjoy the green stuff, though I my next conversation with him I'll advice him to avoid the roses... they can hurt.

>>By Lynn   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 12:40)

Heard that a few ex SA/B/S men belong to Greepeace or at least were involved in some anti poaching traning or something to do with Rainbow warrior sinking. I'm a bit confused today - my heads full of cold.

You know about MSG Rose? What about the Ponceau 4R?

>>By Nomad   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 13:04)

mmm, I dunno Nomad.... Trisodium 2-hydroxy-1-(4-sulfonato-1-nephthylazo) naphthalene-6,8-disulfonate ?? My suggestion would be a Tetrasodium 4-acetamido-5-hydroxy-6-[7-sulfonato-4-(4-sulfonatophenylazo)-1- naphthylazo] naphthalene 1,7-disulfonate in this case.

>>By Lynn   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 13:52)

Uh-oh... my dyslexia is kickin' in big time now... :o\

>>By am-i-binned   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 14:11)

That's ok AIB, my cat just ate one too

>>By Lynn   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 14:12)

Hi
How do Andy McNab's novels compare to his non-fiction books?
I found a copy of 'Immediate Action' recently in a secondhand book shop and am eager for more. The firearms related content of IA was obviously written by someone who knew what they were talking about; it would make a pleasant change to read a thriller sans the usual safety-catch encumbered revolvers...

I like to read fiction that has a certain level of credibility - as I enjoyed IA is there a good chance I'd enjoy his fiction?

Apologies if this has been discussed before - if it has please just point me to the right page ;-)

Regards

T.S.

>>By The Scandinavian   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 14:48)

Hi Scandinavian.

Yes, you will enjoy the fiction. As we always say: read them preferably in order of publication:
Remote Control
Crisis Four
Firewall
Last Light
Liberation Day
Dark Winter

The character (Nick Stone) from the fiction books is - sort of - based on Andy McNab himself.
I'm sure others will have more to add to this short reply :o)

>>By Lynn   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 15:09)

Errr... uhm... Lynn?
Didn't you forget one?!? :o\

Welcome, Scandinavian...

You certainly have come to the right place -- and pages of posts we have a-plenty -- in fact, P for plenty... :o)

Am I understanding you correctly tho? Is IA the only AM book you've read so far? If so, you should follow the list Lynn has provided but, before doing so, you should read his first book, Bravo Two Zero, which is where everything leading to everything else began...

>>By am-i-binned   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 15:31)

Errr... uhm... AIB?
I had to leave something for the rest of F Troop.....

>>By Lynn   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 15:44)

Hi again

Well, that was quick!

Thanks, Lynn, for the list. Yes, 'am-i-binned', IA is the only AM book I have read. Largely because of where I live, my reading is to some extent goverened by what I can get; that's how I came to buy "Immediate Action".

Of course I can buy books online but it's not the same as having a crafty read of the first few pages in a bookshop! I'll probably order 'bravo two zero' and 'remote control' now though :-)

Many thanks, T.S.

>>By The Scandinavian   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 15:48)

A crafty read, eh, Scandinavian? Here you go -- Bravo Two Zero -- in bytes!

www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0440218802/
ref=sib_dp_pt/104-5925882-0732742

(...you have to remove the hard return where the hyperlink wraps...)

>>By am-i-binned   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 15:57)

TS:

If you appreciate authenticity, realism and attention to detail in the storytelling of military related events, then AM's books is definetely to be recommended.
I also suggest you do some research on other authors who are ex serving members of the SAS.

>>By ortlieb   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 20:57)

Rose, you missed my slant: famished, Chinese, -esk, in Del'boy lingo...

Actually Chinese, Indian, etc., are not in my diet preferance', nor is pub snacks...Invite me out to The Snooty Fox in Tetbury and I might oblige...

Er umm, see nothing is quite as expected from moi when it comes to criptic messaging - useful in the face of alien species in home air space...

Your -esq, Rose, reminded me of famous Pre-Raphaelite images - Rubenesque buttocks!!!

Oh gawd, that reminds me of something said in relation to AM comment, and I still laugh like hell at his "Barry Manilow fans" scene take...

Hi The Scandinavian...I don't play the piano any too well, either...How you on guitar? I vaguely remember AM mentioning "a" guitar...

Don't underestimate AM on Greenpeace issues and health/welfare organisations...Anyone who has met Terry Waite, believe me, he does have a profound effect upon people...AM did buy a Porsche to cock-a-snoot at a car salesman, but even AM has been affected/influenced by people he's met, people who are not self-obsessed, people who really care about others first...

>>By devonwren   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 21:15)

Devonwren, not the guitar, no, although I do like guitar music depite spending my entire teens listening to my father practicing a guitar transcription of Asturias...

Yes, there was a guitar in 'Immediate Action', although it wasn't being used for the purpose for which it was originally intended.

A-I-B Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to get past the index pages- a pity as the cover promised "16 pages of explosive photos"; would those not be Netscape compatible one wonders ;-) OK, let's try again with Microsoft Internet Expl

>>By The Scandinavian   (Friday, 5 Mar 2004 11:22)

(...T.S. emerges from under the table, looking like the proverbial startled rabbit, brushing plaster dust from his shoulders)
OK folks my ears have stopped ringing now. I suppose you thought that was funny ;-)

>>By The Scandinavian   (Friday, 5 Mar 2004 11:22)

Hello Scandinavian - a man after my own heart - I too like to steal a few pages during trips to book shops.

I like book shop cafe's - - few and far between in the UK - lucky AIB!

I think IA is my favourite book - but the stuff in the fiction seems credible and authentic - compared to authors who have no military knowledge and experience it is head and shoulders above.

>>By Nomad   (Friday, 5 Mar 2004 11:33)

To have the thanking-you acceptance speech (ref to previous page), first you need the awards...

~~~The Andycademy VD Awards~~~
Here's some of the categories. (n.b. the nominees designation has been expanded to include Concept alongside the usual Animal/Mineral/Vegetable)

The nominees for the category of Very Delicious:
~~~Pancakes from page 148 (recruiting now for T.A. "My name is ****** and I'm a t*sser")
~~~Deep Flied Tongue from page 152 (actually Chinese Style Tongue, but exercising artistic licence in pursuit of continuity)
~~~Deep Flied AM (Perceptual..."you take the size of shadowed men" lyric - bonus points 4 ID)

The nominees for the category of Very Desirable:
~~~AM (obviously...)
~~~bikergirl's new bike (profile details)
STOP PRESS! This category requires further nominees. Multiple possibilities considering the orificial licking and attendant drooling previously evident. Contingency catered for by contract cleaners.

The nominees for the category of Very Deleted:
~~~Various posts/people. Obviously can't divulge.
(Take a few moments to think about them...)

The nominees for Very Dangerous:
~~~Sword swallowing (I know. Pleasurable really)
~~~Tongue swallowing (accompanied by typographical utterances)
~~~Believing what you read (variant - believing what you say. Use where applicable)

The nominees for Very Dictatorial:
~~~This Is London moderator for AM chat
~~~This Is London moderator for AM chat
(forgone conclusion that one...)

The nominee for Vote Dubbya:
~~~AM (what!?)

The nominee for Very Drunk:
~~~bikergirl (extenuating circumstances Sir...)

Further nominations are possible on receipt of your F Troop ballot papers. Judges are partisan, partial, corrupt, corruptible, corrupted and accepting of favours. All in the line of duty.

>>By bikergirl   (Friday, 5 Mar 2004 11:45)

Bikergirl, you are hereby RTU'd....

Really Too Un-

... unique, unmatched, underestimated... and undeniably, certifiably F Troop! :o)

>>By am-i-binned   (Friday, 5 Mar 2004 14:35)

BG--- WHAT?!?! CR's gold hotpants not included in Very Desirable?? Say it ain't so!

:)

>>By Dare   (Friday, 5 Mar 2004 15:27)

Well to tell you the truth my favourite AM book is definately IA. I've always prefered the non-fiction ones above the fiction.

Scandiny allow me to recommendate you also Duncan Falconer's non-fiction book "First into ACtion" (SBS). Now I'm reading his fiction one "The Hostage" and i can assure you it's as good as AM's. Next book on my shelf is Ratcliffe's "Eye of the Storm", by then I hope there will be some news about AM's next book.

Alice I found this site on the Greenpeace-thingy about terrorists in France planning to overtake some truck transporting plutoneum. And about the effect it would have if such a bomb would explode near the centre of Paris. Completely devastating and makes you think how frail our world really is.
www.greenpeace.org/international_en

Bikergirl, nice one there. What's the price for the winner ?
An "Andy" (instead of an Oscar) or an "Andy-award "(like the MTV_awards) or shall we make it into an "McNabby".
How will it be made , what form,... with a bergen, .... wrapped up in clingfilm, ...it definately must be "shiny" like his book covers.
What happens if you rub it 3 times, does an "Andy" come out?

>>By borisette   (Friday, 5 Mar 2004 18:59)

Confess I still haven't read IA, yet...Fancy that, guitar mentioned...Could someone post that snipit, please, just for me....If afraid posting paragraph from IA - onboard this vessel under the gaze of watchers with snippers and electronic buttons - please send guitar sequence via flork...

BG, take a curtain call...

Borisette: only 3? Knowing AM it would have to be more to warrant a grand entrance, barefoot!

The AM crypto missed the boat...Oh, and Nomad, we've all been to Phraxos at some time in our lives, and all looked on "Bourani".. Ah, Conchise?

>>By devonwren   (Friday, 5 Mar 2004 21:33)

Thanks for the site Borisette. Trucks loaded with plutonium on the road and bombs under the railway, I think I'd better wait 20/30 years before going back to France. (But is it really safe somewhere else?...)

>>By alice   (Saturday, 6 Mar 2004 00:16)

I everyone, hope your all having a great weekend, Ok i'm new to this so please bare with me... I have been reading gnooks since i read the arcticle in Ink magazine on Andy mcnab and i find it very informative, when it comes to discussing books. I'm currently ready the memoirs of Mike Coburn soldier five having read both B20 think thats how you say it and also IA, and have also read the shooting gallery , and the one that got away and some of andy's fiction work, having spent most of my time reading tom clancy novels or freddie...
So far this year i have read robin moore's task force dagger, operation barras, and i'm slowly getting through soldier five...I have read most of the books on SF, havent really got into Chris Ryans fiction books yet though.
I wonder if Mac or eddie will ever write a book .. i really enjoy their series on bbc2....
And i'm looking forward to seeing Henno and the boys back for season three of ultimate force.
So to all fellow readers have like i said a great weekend.

>>By briwriter   (Saturday, 6 Mar 2004 17:42)

I have just joined this website so I can leave you all a message.
I am the widow of one of the men you chose to discuss here. My daughter sent me a link to this site, she typed in her father's name and a whole load of stuff came up, including this.
You discuss these people like they are some form of entertainment for you, they are real people, with real children who hurt when they read some of the drivel and gossip you exchange.
Discuss the books by all means, but leave personal details alone. Al was a very close family friend, he didn't write a book, so why discuss him, Nish was a fantastic guy who got conned into writing a book by AM when he was at one of his lowest points. leave the dead alone. They can't defend themselves and their families shouldn't have to.
From what I have read none of you know these guys for real, so dont pretend you do. I'm hoping my younger children will not stumble across this site.
Thanks

>>By ccct   (Saturday, 6 Mar 2004 19:40)

i did not come here looking for penpals, so I am terminating my account,and will not be replying to the messages sent.
thanks devonwren, you hardhearted response is exactly what i was getting at. And the fact you seem to believe that you are the only person who really knew Nish, affair or not, is neither here nor there.
I have said my piece, I just wanted you to think before writing.
thanks

>>By ccct   (Saturday, 6 Mar 2004 20:47)

CCCT: Of course they're real people, same as you and me, and naturally bereavement is a terrible drain on emotions and mental well-being...The plain fact (horrible to you) is that the books are out there, and in the same way readers discuss Diana Princess of Wales and other dead icons (celebs), in truth anyone in the SAS post Embassy Siege (who speaks out or puts pen to paper, becomes a military celebrity...

Whether any one of the writers was at a low ebb in life/ exploited by colleague/lit agent/publisher - one still has to ask the vital question: why did they go the book route if not to tell their story?

There has been much said about ghostwriters on this board, and if one takes into account specific books (ghostwritten) and compare with ex SFOs' non-ghostwritten one sees a very different picture emerging....Sometimes ghostwriters/biographers are the worst enemy of the subject they are writing for - words put into mouths to spice up and inevitably not always as the "name" intended...Equally, a sense of euphoria in the face of sudden fame (bestseller) can suddenly bring ugly ghosts to the fore of the "name's" psyche, for what was once a family (Reg) secret has become public domain: something that wouldn't have happened but for the spoken/written word...

It is true some wo/men are easily led, but taking into account the overall suicide rates of SFOs in the last couple of decades there are far more reaching questions than accusations of bribery and corruption by fellow SFOs...

>>By devonwren   (Saturday, 6 Mar 2004 20:57)

Dear ccct,

I am truly sorry that anything on our messageboard(s) hurt or offended you, especially since we of F Troop have such tremendous respect, admiration, and affection for all of these very special men. For this reason, I would ask you to please consider carefully who actually posted the offensive speculations before passing judgment on us all...

>>By am-i-binned   (Sunday, 7 Mar 2004 03:33)

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 297
The discussion board is currently closed.