Andy Mcnab

Forum

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... 297
Welcome to you both, Big Bossman and 27091974. Yup...things on here can get steamy, but I think it's mainly usually friendly fire...saying that though, I am one for keeping my head down...boy am I going to regret typing that...who'll be 1st with the smart comment then??...

I've heard that Soldier 5 hasn't been vetted by the MOD yet. Anyone else have any news on that? And how actually do they do the vetting? Sounds like a sweet job to me... desk, chair, AM books galore and a note pad, probably involves consuming a large amount of chocolate hob nobs & drinking tea all day. And...are we paying for this with our taxes? Tut....

>>By TabariGoddess   (Tuesday, 2 Mar 2004 19:47)

Wonder when we will have a Mike Coburn discussion board?
What do you mean the SAS haven't vetted Soldier Five.
What do you think the trials were all about? Coburn tried to get them to illucidate on which parts they didn't like/want but in the end they couldn't quote any items in particular other than a couple of technical items re SAS weaponry which he then removed. Did anyone listen to the Radio interview with Coburn on BBC Radio 4 that a member on this board said was going to happen on 1st March?
Anyway, thought you Northern Hemisphere readers migiht like to read an article in a local paper. Go to www.listener.co.nz and read A Ridge too far.
Hope you all get your copies very soon.

>>By PAULL   (Tuesday, 2 Mar 2004 20:31)

Thanks for the site, PAULL! Very interesting article. I guess this means I'll need to order Soldier 5 soon, cause it's going to be the main topic of discussion for a long while. :)

>>By Dare   (Tuesday, 2 Mar 2004 21:36)

Hi all
"Peace", I was missing that word and someone said it, welcome Big Boss! and welcome to PAULL and 27 too (may I call you 27?). But if you "just want a quiet life"... you'll be disappointed here!

Thanks Borisette for the boots and coke moment.
I couldn't find the pages you gave yesterday, what was it about?

>>By alice   (Tuesday, 2 Mar 2004 21:53)

Thanks PAULL, good article.
Old news but relevant at the moment, this part:
"....it lays the blame on SAS command"
and I am watching a SAS docu now where Peter Ratcliffe says:
"I'm certain that if B20 had taken a vehicle they would have all got back intact"
All blaming each other.

>>By Lynn   (Tuesday, 2 Mar 2004 22:30)

BTW, welcome to the new guys! BB, PAULL and 27... :) As you can see, these guys type like fiends possessed! Read fast or check in frequently! :D

>>By Dare   (Tuesday, 2 Mar 2004 22:37)

Just read the link that that PAULL gave...
"Coburn is a disappointingly ordinary man for an elite commando and historical figure. He isn't nine-feet-tall, he looks like ... a soldier"

And what about McNab?
(The Daily Telegraph-Oct '98)
"Will he be tall or short? Ugly or handsome? [...] Will his figure resemble that of a Chippendale (btw that's not a furniture reference)...
Suddenly, the door opens and a pale young man [...] bursts in. He is clean shaven, his eyes are as blue as Anatolian waters."
He apparently had "whippet-lean legs" too...

So what do we expect? What creations have our imaginations conjured for us? Are they perhaps more akin to those WWF wrestlers?
...An imposing man, six-foot four, 13 stone...like Stallone but without that disarming softness...heavily muscled torso rippling...bulging biceps...
Hmmm...stop right there!!

Reality?...smallish bloke, about 10 stone, five foot eight...

S5 arrived yesterday morning. Yet to be unwrapped.

>>By bikergirl   (Tuesday, 2 Mar 2004 22:51)

Lynn, re Damien Lewis: worth noting most of the accounts published on the subject of rubbishing DM's claims came from the Sudanese Foreign Ministery (public relations) for Information.

A quick little story: British guy - radiographer - works on oil pipelines - his expertise invaluable to foreigners - during tests colleagues find samples of material/chemical weapon substance...But hey, Sudanese Gove deny all knowledge...

Along comes journalist with camera crew, now bearing in mind Sudan ain't exactly a safe place for holidaymakers his every move is monitored/orchestrated, in fact half the time he probably had no idea where he was being taking/ushered to, and foreign countries didn't want him taking samples of soil/water etc., either...Wow, then a Sudanese Vs DM gets underway with Slave setup - whose setup?

Have a look at listed urls and payy attention to headers!!

http://www.nationaudio.com/
News/DailyNation/23012002/
Letters/Letters16.html

http://www.espac.org/
latest_pages/recycling_lies.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/
print/0%2C3858%2C4518833-
103690%2C00.html

http://www.kke.gr/cpg/
solid/sudan/sudan_1.html

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/
Front?pagename=OpenMarket/
Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=

-----

Re Soldier 5 and non MoD involvement according to *************...Well, no comment!!
I'd say PAULL handled that just fine...
Incidentally, the ignorance of some Brits ceases to amaze me...

'Ere, is you lot saying Kiwi is gonna outshine AM soon?

Not for long, you can bet your little socks on that....Up will pop a newbie all AM swoony like to change the subject back to B20/IA etc...

Alice, long-time-no-see, Dare too...

Now where did Reg, Rose & Co vanish to?

--------

Borisette, put those new boys down, and show 'em your dogs so they know what to expect when they wants to keep dropping by....

B, sorry didn't get round to that reply...Too happy sliding down banister rails....

Nomad, willl get back to you, ha, ha...Oooooh...

>>By devonwren   (Tuesday, 2 Mar 2004 22:54)

Bikergirl: sounds like Crocodile Dundee (PH) dropped by to promote Soldier 5....

Small with pert arse was PH, and "B" sexy with it...

It doesn't pay to be too much of a glamour boy in the SFs, more especially if you get captured as did the lads in Iraq!!

>>By devonwren   (Tuesday, 2 Mar 2004 23:03)

Now is this true, I read it in DF's book the Hostage :

During the Falklands war the French sold to the ARgies the Exocets.
Then Mitterand promised Thatcher he'd stop the exportation, but they didn't. His brother was chief executieve of the company that made the missiles. They shipped the missiles across France and through italy and then loaded them on Peruvian merchant ships that would deliver them to the Argies.
The SAS/SBS were called to blow one batch of missiles to hell but Thatcher called it off, she had a change of heart of taking the war into europe. Plus the French wouldn't give the frequencies of the exocets
they sold to the Argies.

Now my question is, this was all before the UE, would this still be possible, nowadays, shouldn't Europe have to work together instead of against eachother.

>>By borisette   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 00:29)

Re > Operation Certain Death by Damien Lewis

"Operation Certain Death" is also the name of the mission Blackadder "volunteers" Baldrick and George to. The two before-mentioned characters forget to mail George's uncle to have him exhonorate the inprisoned Blackadder who awaits execution for shooting general Melchett's "plump breasted" pigeon -- Speckled Jim.

Ach... what's the use? You savage uncultural heathens have probably no idea of what I'm talking about anyway...

Damien Lewis? "Band of Brothers" Lewis?

>>By ortlieb   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 00:30)

BG-- I think "...smallish bloke, about 10 stone, five foot eight..." sounds quite nice. ;) Seems to me more intriguing to find these "ordinary" fellows who are capable of doing such a tough job and doing it well. Never judge a book... and all that. Oh, wait! That's what we're here for, isn't it? :)

DV-- I don't think he'll "outshine" our AM ( I mean, it is McNab's board and all ;)) And he says he isn't planning to do anymore writing, so there won't be any competition with AM's or CR's fiction. But MC's book looks very interesting and with everybody here SAS-mad, we'll be dissecting it for all sorts of tidbits of info and comparing to what's come before. :) *rubs hands in anticipation*

And why does it have to be a newbie that gets all swoonie? I'm perfectly capable of that! ;)

Btw, DW-- Hi back at ya!

>>By Dare   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 01:01)

Re > comments on SF-soldiers' physique:

The soldiers who join the French Foreign Legion look almost malnurished after a while in service. They have a totally different physique than what one perhaps would expect from a special forces soldier. They're very lean, almost skinny looking.
In fact, most of the guys who serve in the Norwegian Paras (for instance) look like the skinny and weak grey man. God knows that couldn't be farther from the truth if you know what kind of physical hardship they put themselves through....

It's usually the US military units who has the WWF-wrestler Arnold looking guys.

>>By ortlieb   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 01:42)

Not really, Ort. That's just in the movies. :) The SEALs I met and worked with were regular looking guys. Definitely in shape but not muscle-bound. Never met a Delta Force so have no idea if they are WWF proportioned. ;)

>>By Dare   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 02:14)

Oh Dare, Delta Force Chuck Norris is a small guy !! hehehe - oh yeah - also a movie.
Speaking of movies........................... nah.. best not anymore

Lot of homework DW.. !! :o)

>>By Lynn   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 08:14)

From personal experience, the Delta guys I have met, most you would not notice across the crowded room, not over 5'10" and no obvious rippling muscles. BUT there were others who had obviously spent too much time at the gym, and liked to take part in bear wrestling competitions at the local fairs in Fayetteville, they took themselves far too seriously, no self deprecating humour amongst the Yanks but then maybe they were a little too embarresed by the fact the Delta force compound had been rebuilt with PINK roofs, maybe they felt the need to prove something. They were always jealous of their Brit 'cousins' and used alot of the SAS slang, which sounded funny coming out of a man with a Kentucky or New Jersey accent!
Trying to remember how FC described them when he got to Fort Bragg, didn't he have trouble climbing a rope in the gym, without using his feet, but by the end of his time there he could keep up with the Delta guys. He mentioned how much more into upper body strength the Delta guys were than the Hereford bunch, the SAS were more into mental strength and endurance.

>>By a rose by any other   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 09:34)

UBRR
FC said "it isn't important to us like it is to the Americans"

Why DO they train upper body - what's the advantage of climbing a rope without your feet?

Also thought SAS envy the US cousins for having better equipment (no no no...)

>>By Lynn   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 11:50)

The only equipment the regiment guys were envious of, was the stuff that made life more comfortable, like ration packs, fleece camo jackets (before they were available everywhere) and easy to carry, lightweight beds. To get hold of this kind of stuff made for a huge swapping game. All the hardware wasn't the issue they could get what they wanted.

>>By a rose by any other   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 12:57)

Hi dw,

Still knocking around and view onboard now and again. A bit busy with things at the moment, you know how things are on the job (no innuendo comments please !) but I'll post soon. Good to hear from you. Speak to you soon.

Reg

>>By Reginald   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 14:07)

wow, thanks for all the flork messages, will take me a while to reply to you all, so be patient, i will get back to you over the next couple of days. I want to reply in depth to you all, rather than just a quickie (no innuendo comments, please!) Thanks again, warms the cockles as they say

>>By a rose by any other   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 16:14)

I'd like to thank MG for this board
I'd like to thank AM for providing so much discussion material
I'd like to thank F Troop for their loyalty
I'd like to thank my mother for giving birth to me (think it was her)
I'd like to thank my father if I can ever find him
I'd like to thank my dog for running away
I'd like to thank my teachers who gave me so much free space
and I'd like to thank HIM for the sun that always shines no matter how many clouds prevend me from seeing it.

>>By Lynn   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 17:08)

Anyone seen my tongue??? Left it lying around somewhere and it took off.. if someone may find it......please return to owner unharmed

>>By Lynn   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 17:12)

uhm... Lynn?
... you forgot to thank the members of the Academy... :o)

gollum, gollum... Precious!

>>By am-i-binned   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 17:13)

Maybe you should make up a lost & found sign for said tongue. Maybe it doesn't realize you miss it and is off on holiday.

Of course, if you go out looking for it and it comes home while you are out... You might want to leave a note. :)

>>By Dare   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 19:17)

A good one on the French news today: a terrorist group (with very vague claims, maybe a sect) asks for 4 millions dollars and 1 million euros otherwise they will explode a dozen of bombs on the 32500 km of the French railway.
On the terrorists instructions one of the bombs has been found - a real one. Antiterrorist mesures are tighter.
During the past two weeks the police have communicated with the terrorists by advertisements in a paper under the name "Suzy", sending messages to "My Big Wolf".
Sometimes truth can be stranger than fiction. To be continued...

>>By alice   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 22:51)

Noticed this in window Chinese Restaurant-cum-takeaway Soho, London.

Deliver to your door... H'okay...As soon possible you ring me bid highest price...Guarantee Flesh Today! Velly Special Tender Treat...

Chinese Style Tongue
In memory of Hu loss tong

Ingredients is my speciality
1 tongue
1 clove garlic
2 Tbs. salad oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 or 4 Tbs. sugar
pinch of Chinese 5 Spices

I cook velly good
Boil tongue until tender. Cool and peel carefully. For the sauce, brown the garlic in the salad oil; add the soy sauce, the sugar and the pinch of Chinese 5 Spices and simmer gently until tongue is well marinated and very tender. You can water down the soy if too strong. Slice and serve in gravy.

>>By devonwren   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 23:42)

Blame Nomad for above - re Hannibal Lector comment...

What's the betting - lay your bets now - I end up in the shed?

Tell you what, some interesting things in the shed ~ lots of bits of string, and plastic, and old ice-cream cartons stacked up...Reckon Reg been using that shed, going by the spent ammo shells...

>>By devonwren   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 23:52)

Can it be selved with lice?

>>By borisette   (Wednesday, 3 Mar 2004 23:53)

Oh absolutely, and a velly special Andy McNab Fortune Cookie...

Ex 'wa lucky eater get gold invite to McNab den...hee hee...mus crawl fru bush first and pay twibute to wolf pack weeder...

>>By devonwren   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 00:09)

Amazing what only one body part makes conversation.
Thanx DW, do I have to be looking for dumped clingfilm now to find my tongue??? ((VBG))
BUUUUUUT thanx for all your concern guys, I'm really touched !!!

A happiness poem:

If a happiness poem could bring forth a smile,
Then my face would always dress in style.

If my ears could hear my computer screen, From one to another, they, too, would grin.
My keyboard types for my eyes not my tongue
This happiness poem will never be sung.

(http://www.thehappyguy.com/happiness-poem.html)

>>By Lynn   (Thursday, 4 Mar 2004 00:23)

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... 297
The discussion board is currently closed.