Andy Mcnab

Forum

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 297
Seems I've been snoozing too long...memo? What ever the "loop" is, it is seemingly mightily small... thankfully.
I hate it when stuff gets poofed. I'm confused at the best of times without poofing going on.
Tut....

>>By TabariGoddess   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 17:40)

Let's face it the Bosnia war, was a complete genocide.
Milosevic, killing off the whole albanese population , and what did the rest of Europe do,......nothing.
M.Tatcher was right, Europe instead of the US is weak, when it comes down on to making decisions and actions, there's always one country that doesn't agree. Just look at what happened before the GW2, France, Germany,.... and what did the other countries do,......standing in the corner squeezing and turning their handkerchieves and going "oh oh what shall we do now, let's just sit putt and see what happens, then we can come in at the end if they win this war."

I think AM's next book will be more in the middle east maybe in Iraq

>>By borisette   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 19:07)

Absolutely, Borisette, but McNab didn't mention Kosovo: autonomous region in Serbia, capital Pristina, - 1988 the Serbians were agitating for Kosovo to be merged with the rest of Serbia...

Albanian Republic (kingdom), capital Tirana: religion 70% Muslim inherited from Ottoman Rulers (Turkish Empire - which crumbled WWI, remember Lawrence of Arabia's efforts to defeat and drive the Turkish forces north to their homeland across the Arabian deserts)

There was a famous speech/lecture in which Dr David Owen (MP) warned (visionary) that the backdoor Russia was trying to keep closed (the region in question plus Afghanistan) the West would one day regret helping the Russians to defeat the Mujaheddin (CIA involvement and SAS trained guerrilla fighters)

>>By devonwren   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 21:03)

Please note - any Muslims reading the above - that I am merely pointing out the cultural and religious divides, and it in no way reflects my personal viewpoint on Holy Wars, War in general, or internal strife/tribalism...

>>By devonwren   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 21:07)

Got it, Nick meets up with Carrie again and does her a big favour, fighting against:
"The program, known as "chemtrails", began about 7-8 years ago and have taken on serious proportions in the last 3-4 years. When asked, authorities claim it is military aircraft dumping excess fuel. However, common logic says you don¹t dump excess fuel from dawn to dusk over cities, then repeat it again and again. We are beginning to see many health issues arising as a result of being exposed to these airborne chemicals. But as these airborne chemicals come to the ground they touch all life forms; our water, food, animals, soil­ and yes, you and I. "

>>By Lynn   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 21:52)

~Let's face it the Bosnia war, was a complete genocide.
not complete, there are a few million left, as with the Armenian genocide, more Armenians in the US now than in their mother country. The world turned their backs, and Hitler used them as an example when he decided on the Final Solution "who remembers the Armenians?"
Depends on your definition of weak, many think it is strong to stand up to a bully, even though you know you wont get your nose in the trough and slurp up the big bucks in the "rebuilding' of Iraq.
~standing in the corner squeezing and turning their handkerchieves and going "oh oh what shall we do now~
millions took to the street to protest, more than in any other demonstration against anything, they knew what to do

I agree AM will write something based on Iraq, there are plenty of squaddies willing to tell their tale for him to spin into a new book with the help of a ghost. many are leaving the US army, disillusioned, not worried about "secrets" etc. they want their voice heard, the US army is facing a crisis, and with the new Bush draft bill poised to go through Congress, it looks like it could get ugly, bushdraft.com
But the public will eat up anything based in Iraq or Afghanistan at the moment

>>By a rose by any other   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 02:30)

Hi all,

Just thought I'd keep myself in the frame as work has been a bit hectic as of late and haven't been able to post.

What's this about "memo" ? Hasn't crossed my path yet ! Won't make a monky's difference to the ones here and their respect for dw and her knowledge. Just ignore it all dw.

Anyway, must dash, tasks to off-load, stuff to check blah-blah-blah !

>>By Reginald   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 09:03)

the US army is facing a crisis?

Ditto British Army. Ditto SAS in dire crisis. Ditto young men in civvy street see war on their TV screens every day of every week, recruitment is at an all time low. The NI issue was an all British stint, we knew who the enemy was and we didn't have American green-horns breathing down our necks likely to blow our heads off {blue-on-blue]. I doubt there's a kid in the UK doesn't know someone who served in NI and knows of someone who served in the Falklands, maybe even a grandparent who served before that in a distant war zone. WE hear grand statements about US and UK joint effort [allied] but when you're on the ground alongside American forces you do need [honest] eyes in the back of your head. When you're out there with Norwegian troops et al [European UN troops] you know you can trust them with your lives, you work together!

>>By readit   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 09:31)

Rosy, the ghost harp is best laid to rest. Ghostwriters have their place in the frame. Regardless of your personal bent military historians are ghostwriters to some extent, the knowledge accumulated enough to put into dozens of novels, and if that makes a novel come over as kosher it's got to be better than a hack writing a load of fantasy crap.

I don't get your problem with ghostwriters. Are you a writer? Makes sense if you are because you might be out of the frame when ghostwriter stole thunder on a project you had your eye on. I guess that happens all the time. Woman in the frame of a guy who is looking to do a book deal, she's done a couple of books and lover boy looks good for the bestseller list. Speculation, Rose, pure speculation here. But I have heard of such an instance.

>>By readit   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 09:50)

The instance! The guy ran off with a bint in the literary agent's office.

Cheers all. Off skiing.

>>By readit   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 09:56)

"Ditto young men in civvy street see war on their TV screens every day of every week, recruitment is at an all time low"
That's interesting - is this seen everywhere in the world? Suppose the soldier-with-gun is to be played everywhere these days, don't neccessarily have to get a job to do that. Sheesh, nice future!
And happy skiing.

Someone took our name: new florker -> ftroop
with a profile: author london / england "I attract women"
Someone taking a piss or what :o)))

>>By Lynn   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 10:22)

Vindication and Indictment (Soldier Five style)

www.odt.co.nz/cgi-bin/getitem?
date=25Feb2004&object=0224976062&type=html

>>By am-i-binned   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 11:04)

Lynn, your: ftroop
".....with a profile: author london / england "I attract women"
Someone taking a piss or what :o)))...."

An advert of what the F stands for in the mindset...Unfortunately, anyone who claims to be an SF guy receives overtures from women. A couple of mechanics in Hereford used to score all the time - there favourite line "we know Mcnab, served with him"...They never thought that line would work but it did.

Ask readit about his experiences on here...Ha Ha....

>>By devonwren   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 13:42)

Interesting point Readit re: Ditto SAS in dire crisis.

Too much brass making things top heavy and bound to go tits up (coloquial phrase no offence intended)?

How much does the SAS and other SF literature influence people to think about joining the forces? A lot of people don't seem able to differentiate fiction and fantasy from the harsh realities. Or are people just getting soft.

Was AM responsible for a flood of new recruits the same way the Embassy siege led to massive influx of candidates to Selection?

DW - Personally I've never made overtures to anyone in SF.

>>By Nomad   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 13:54)

AIB: If that's all MC (Kiwi) has to say in Soldier 5 - the most exciting, adrenaline pumping, stir-gut-wrenching snipit intended as marketing ploy of: "Buy this it tells the truth about the B20 mission" - then It would seem no one need worry about any fallout...The buck just keeps passing up the line and hinges on did or did someone deliberately hold-off on rescue mission...

Getting back to earlier SAS missions pre McNab time: SAS guys were intended to be on their own from the very start - they either came back or they didn't, and often as not there was no communication with a base camp (weeks sometimes) let alone direct communique with HQ Hereford...The whole point of the gruelling training was to prepare them for lone (group) sorties in enemy territory, on occasion silent op, literally, no airway traffic...

>>By devonwren   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 14:01)

a "not" missing in above...

Should have finished with: in the Malayan Campaign, they went out and were told there was only one way back - on foot...

Cyprus (hunting Grivas): We think of Cyprus as a small island, (easy-peasy task) but when you get up into the Kyrenian Mountains on a silent op of hunting/tracking partisans who know every hidy-hole and no heli to drop in and pick you up if shit hits the fan, what do you do....(?)....Shout for help! ....Scream after the event that you were left (abandoned) and no one heard your cries? ...Were Para/SAS men made of tougher stuff in those days?

>>By devonwren   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 14:08)

SAS pick up lines? Never blame a bloke for trying! Really, you guys should read the sun the amount of fat, balding, old men that end up in court over impersonating SAS soldiers on the internet is amazing. It's Dad's Army electronic-style....

>>By Bethan   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 15:00)

readit:
<< When you're out there with Norwegian troops et al [European UN troops] you know you can trust them with your lives, you work together! >>

Guess I'd have to take that as a compliment. :)

As I've always seen it, US troop mentality is to produce soldiers who obey orders, and not much else (ie, soldiers that has to be led all the way and always needing senior staff to point out the direction).
I've read a few US Army field manuals, and usually you'd think they were written for a 5 year-old.

I believe that the Norwegian Defence Forces produce soldiers that are more self-sufficient and have their wits about them (generally speaking - obviously we also have our fair share of nitwits).
They're capable of making decisions for themselves and do not have to be "thread-steered" (Norwegian army-phrase, related to the steering-wire used with the TOW missile system) in every task they're set out to do.
I have a feeling this applies to UK forces as well.

Allright... enough with the patting on my own shoulder.
But in a larger picture, perhaps it's still somewhat relevant considering the high blue-on-blue risk that coincidentally seems to occur when UK and US units are involved in the same conflict....

>>By ortlieb   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 15:21)

Well, I give ftroop credit for the smart move - none of us thought of 'protecting' that name - also: I'm sure it can be used as a pick up line but it can lead to interesting conversation too.

Also in the F Troop lobby: a book called Dangerous Men : The SAS and Popular Culture, there's an article about it here:
http://struggle.ws/freeearth/
dangeous_men_se01.html
Anyone know more about this book?

And another Coburn article:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/
0,2106,2823868a1861,00.html

>>By Lynn   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 15:25)

Neat article, Lynn, re "Dangerous Men"-

"Just how contrived the myth of the S.A.S. is can been seen by two books both written by former Major General John Strawson whereas his 1969 work 'The Battle for North Africa' doesn't even mention the S.A.S. in his 1984 book 'A History of the SAS Regiment' they are vital to victory in the battle for north Africa."

I didn't make a note of the berk who wrote above, but it shows his ignorance of MoD time-lapse (35-40 yr rule) that applied back then...No one could write about military campaigns within a specific time-scale...Where Gen J Strawson ommitted to mention SAS in 1969 book it was OK to write it into the 1984 book...

SAS missions were supposedly secret!!! Sadly, nothing secret about it now or how it operates, does anyone really look up to the modern SAS as an elite force (?) see them as something special...I remember a time where if you were caught drinking alcohol or smoking dodgy substance anything up to three days before an op you were RTU'd - no argument... If you suggested writing a book you would end up hardly able to stand: a bloody nose...

>>By devonwren   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 16:06)

Did anyone else toss last night?

Pancakes of course - what were you lot thinking of?

I took a camping stove (hexy blocks smell a bit bad for indoor use) and tossed all over the tea room at work today. mmmm.

>>By Nomad   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 17:50)

Takes a talented tosser to titillate the tastebuds...

More alliteration. More bonus points.

>>By bikergirl   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 18:21)

Well, I suppose: Two talented tossers taking turns tossing tasty tidbits tend to titillate the tastebuds temptingly... Ta.

>>By am-i-binned   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 20:46)

Pass the cream around, compliments the Dairy Box man. Whoosh!!!!!

While the tossing has been in earnest here with tastebuds tingling, the BABES soar misssed a cue instructing the CR board in how to survive a casualty.

>>By readit   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 21:47)

Sad in't it when two little girls got nothing better to do than play with each other and play action man with their teddybears.

>>By readit   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 21:52)

Hey Rose & SM, BABES are recruiting for talented enthusiasts to support and advance SAS parody to the worldwide stage. Starring non other than McNab, Ryan, Mack, and Eddie. and any one else they can take the piss out of...

Tickets available for next sitting at.
http://www.gnooks.com/
discussion/chris+ryan.html

Fair to say it's right up B Squadron's laugh-a-minute Street.

>>By readit   (Wednesday, 25 Feb 2004 22:13)

"I remember a time where if you were caught drinking alcohol or smoking dodgy substance anything up to three days before an op you were RTU'd -"

And rules like those changed because..........???
Suppose they felt that was getting too old-fashioned? What other rules were binned due to 'modern' days??

>>By Lynn   (Thursday, 26 Feb 2004 00:54)

The rule about wearing a mexican mustache, checked shirts, desert boots and jeans seems to have gone, now it is armani suits, and everything with designer labels. They have to holiday/ski at the "in" places now. Whole different kettle of fish these new boys, and haven't seen many with a cigarette either, I remember in the 70s, 80s a number smoking, not sure if that was better or worse than chewing tobacco, which Delta loved. In fact, on relfection, chewing is much worse. Different rules for different times, different cultures. The old and bold have been replaced by the young and happening!!

>>By stevemitch   (Thursday, 26 Feb 2004 01:55)

You're talking about style and fashion? Well, that has changed everywhere - of course I don't really remember the 70s, but it's been on tv and I don't see anyone looking like that anymore.

But different times - did that bring different official rules, other than Devonwren mentioned about the drinking 3 days before a mission.
What about drugs for example - a lot has changed there the last few decades.

>>By Lynn   (Thursday, 26 Feb 2004 09:22)

1) What do Gucci, Armani, Versace, and "Texas" have in common, and miraculously turned cheap Italian fashionwear into "must have" iconwear in the 90s and eclipsed the former French couturier' houses of Chanel, Dior, and Yves St Laurent (latter swallowed by Gucci)?
2) What do kiss 'n' tell SAS/SBS men have in common with above?

Clues:

Ford Motor company

Nickname for male cat

Mountain grazer

Tabloid Press

Don't remember the 70s Lynn - life experience based on 80s/90s then?

Didn't 70s style bell-bottom pants and strip-thin cleavage protection hit the catwalks last year? And isn't 60s teeny-bopper hipster style tank top belly-button expose in-Vogue right now...Gee, and there was me thinking the young 'ns knew it all...

Drugs have always been there, same plants grown and harvested, but now they're called designer drugs and appeal to the mindset of obsessional "must have" and look where that leads!

>>By devonwren   (Thursday, 26 Feb 2004 09:57)

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 297
The discussion board is currently closed.