Andy Mcnab

Forum

Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... 297
Wow - you guys have been productive this weekend! (Just spent 15 mins going through all the posts).

Nomad hurled a question/comment my way:

FILTERS
Orange-coloured lenses has been used for years (in glasses/goggles), as it helps to register contours and shades better than what the standard issue Mk1 eyeball is capable of. As Reginald has been into, they're often used at the shooting-range. Orange lenses are a must when you're riding a snowmobile/skiiing and the light is "flat" - ie, very sharp and bright light that "wipes out" contours and shades.
Red filters are being used (from a military viewpoint) primarily to preserve nightvision (like Majorette said).
Nowadays though, there seems to have been introduced a new colour to replace red light used in helicopters/vehicles: a bright UV-like blue colour (as seen in the movie "The Rock" when the Seal-team is getting inserted to Alcatraz).
I don't have substantial data to back this up at the moment, but I'm sure the info is out there somewhere.
As for blue light and tracking purposes, I have no experience on that one.

What I can say though, is that no light-source can hide from a pair of nightvision goggles/binoculars - even if the light is being shone from the inside of a tent/poncho etc.
If you're watching through a pair of NVG's, it'll look like a misplaced Las Vegas neon-sign that's been dropped into the middle of the woods.

>>By ortlieb   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 00:24)

Doing this on the wing, as good as. I haven't hit the snow in weeks and suffering serious withdrawal symptoms. Been diving off Cuba!

re above ortlieb comment "blue"

http://www.compulink.co.uk
/~photonic-science/welcome.html

I feel sure you will find your way around the web site and drop on what you will be looking for. When you locate it zoom to lower page "third generation".

>>By readit   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 10:10)

I see this morning that Romeo and Juliet/te were pushed off the bolcany [spell check last - ditto Times crossword]

>>By readit   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 10:17)

LOL, readit, spelling never was your strong point: balcony.

As for Romeo & Juliet - sad fate...

Re previous comment about friends reunited: Channel 5 tonight 9.00 pm "The curse of Friends Reunited" - documentary focusing on the dak side of FR...

Re McNab interviewing NS for special mission...Hee, hee, but I guess a parody on that might end up being blown away like R & J... Nevertheless, right up your street B.A.B.E.S - maybe with shakespearian flair and wit...

>>By devonwren   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 10:58)

Checked out readit's url and couldn't see ref to Ortlieb's "blue" so a quick cell chat and I've got the direct link.

http://www.compulink.co.uk/
~photonic-science/tn_007.html

>>By devonwren   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 11:24)

Thanks for the direct link devon (couldn't find the ref either).

No surprise though that the purchases of seemingly "high-tech" equipment origins from the "hot 'n sexy" factor...

>>By ortlieb   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 15:38)

Thanks for the R&D link (research & development), R and D...

If my non-techie brain understood correctly, it's ironic that the "new and improved" technology of the 3rd gen (which I'm guessing is also the most expensive to manufacture) still produces only about the same amount of visual as the 1st and 2nd gens. So leave it to us/US to be totally dedicated to producing only 3rd gen! But, that said, the article bugged me a bit for a different reason, too. Bottom line, this specific technology seems to be focused on and funded by the military, not the scientific community. So while I understand that scientific research could benefit from broadening the blue-green gain vs infra-red, ultimately, the benefits to the military should take precedence. I think the writer should consider it fortunate for science that "blue response" has been factored into developing a "blue 3rd gen tube" in order to accommodate the wavelength emissions of US fighter aircraft panel displays.

(truth is, the writer was a bit whiney... but, of course, I am not in the very least bit militarily biased...oh-no, not me!!!! vbg! vbw!)

>>By am-i-binned   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 15:47)

just got back from a 10 day holiday in the alps, where we were doing some great offpiste skiing and hiking.

i used a multitude of different lenses both with goggles and sunglasses to cope with the sun there. my basic guidelines were:

amber/yellow/orange => overcast skies, great for nighttime visibility also
blue/purple => sunny days, as it "mellows" out the light
brown/copper => not really my choice, unless driving in really sunny conditions.
green => a basic shade, the colors look natural.
pink => great for reducing glares from snow/water
black => duh? sunny perhaps?
red => overcast/snowy conditions, also during the night, they conserve your nightsight better, as does all red light. (ever wonder why subs etc. have the red lights in all the movies?)

and if you want to look dead cool, try mirrored lenses, no one can see your eyes, so you can take a good long look at fine ladies while your head is tilted to another direction ;)

polarization of lenses is quite important aswell, it reduces glare and basically lets the light come in at just one angle, so if you have two sets of lenses, and put them at a 90 degree angle, no light will pass.

>>By trident   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 17:07)

Here's a pic of Duncan Falconer :
www.dararowlandassociates.com/BookJackets/
Authors/FalconerDuncan.jpg

plus did you know he wrote, created and produced :
"Pacific Blue"
so i guess he won't be needing any ghostwriters!

>>By borisette   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 18:41)

<< so if you have two sets of lenses, and put them at a 90 degree angle >>

Ohmiyeah, Trident! Dead cool! Hahahahaha!!!!

>>By am-i-binned   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 18:51)

<< Duncan Falconer picture >>

Ohmiyeah, Borisette! Serpico cool! vbg! vbw!

>>By am-i-binned   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 18:56)

Has anyone else read the F-Troop memo - doing the insider circuit?

Note, it has nothing to do with me, nor did the poo'fing of Rose & SM's latest...

That aside, I've just had a private off-board chat with an F-Trooper, hence top-line query...

I'd like to know what I am supposed to have said, and why that person sent it, "apparently" to other F-Troopers, and to what aim! ?

Am I supposed to feel demoralised, sick-gut sensation? Not a chance, believe it...

>>By devonwren   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 19:13)

What memo?

Hey bud's, what have I missed here?

Someone thinks you're going to run from tittle-tattle. Jesus, a long wait then.

>>By readit   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 22:02)

Ortlieb wrote: "Nowadays though, there seems to have been introduced a new colour to replace red light used in helicopters/vehicles: a bright UV-like blue colour (as seen in the movie "The Rock" when the Seal-team is getting inserted to Alcatraz)."

My understanding of the blue color being introduced into certain military cockpits is that it is easier on the night-vision goggles that such pilots must wear. Even though red light is easier on the unaided eye in darkness, it is more detrimental to a person wearing NVGs (since NVGs tend to be most sensitive to the longer wavelengths of red and infrared). A blue light, however, should be less distracting through the NVG optics.

Keep in mind, I've never donned a pair of NVGs before... I'm just thinking aloud. Perhaps those with field experience could confirm/negate the above hypothesis? Is red light brighter through a pair of NVGs than blue light?

>>By Majorette   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 22:04)

Okey Dokey, I now know what was sent as memo to Rose.

It's only a matter of time before I'll know who sent it...

Have you learnt nothing from reading covert novels and Andy McNab books?...That if you tell someone they will tell someone else, and that if you don't want somebody to know you don't open your mouth in the first place.

>>By devonwren   (Monday, 23 Feb 2004 23:51)

Does anyone remember I mentioned "divide and rule" as a measure of tactical deployment...Well, it's happening with poison pen letters right here, and wouldn't you know it, once again, I'm the prime target...Now why would that be, when I'm the one who has always said off-boarding is a dangerous game. If you can't say it on the board why say it at all?

>>By devonwren   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 00:16)

Here is some SBS -slang for all you Noddies thinking that SAS- rules the world!!!

. tea's wet = tea is ready
. knobber = wanker
. kip = sleep
. if someone calls you a kipper = then you're a stinkin'two faced dried
fish...
. if you're lucky they call you = a jammy bastard (as in jam)

>>By borisette   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 00:43)

Okay Okay , i just came back from an "all girlsparty", actually we were only 6 of us, (females) eating pizza and coke.
Pass me that bacardi will ya!! Hik!

>>By borisette   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 00:45)

SBS slang? Not in my squadron it weren't. I wouldn't dare post SBS slang it's too hot to handle.

Blue light red light green spotter sights. All those things are very fine and even said to be fashionable in quarters of military thinking. The base line when all the eletronic crap goes down is the base training of human eye, human error, and experience of doing your very best. in your given task

>>By readit   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 10:45)

< off-boarding is a dangerous game. If you can't say it on the board why say it at all?

It CAN be yes, it's also an excellent tool to discuss off topic stuff and chit-chat. However, if it's used for poison pen letters it's a pain in the butt. Makes you wonder - regularly being asked 'if we don't have a real life' what kind of life people have who's only joy it is to stir up things.

I have a question about something McNab said in the Dutch interview:
Before he starts writing (yes) he and the publisher consult together and he said:
“Four, five years ago the publisher asked me to write something about Bosnië, but that subject is too complicated. No one understand the situation over there, certainly not in our country. Troops have been send over there, but what actually happened, no one understands, it’s a mess over there”.
My question: why ‘certainly not in our country’? Would the other parts of Europe be more aware of what happened there? And why?

>>By Lynn   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 10:55)

Beware...nonsense alert...skip this bit at will.

A bit from The Guardian here...
"It has happened to us all. You log on to an internet chatroom and get talking to one of our brave SAS boys in Iraq. You are so smitten with your man in uniform that you get your sister and your mother to strike up cyber-friendships with his fellow squaddies. Then what happens? You discover all three of the soldiers are the same man. And he's not even a soldier: he's a 67-year-old from Surrey. And he's married."

You mean...you mean...some people don't tell the truth here?...

And, handy hints from The Sun to check if the man you've already got is SAS...
"He demands his face be digitally disguised in all of your wedding snaps"
and
"Each morning you are woken by him shouting 'incoming' as your paperboy delivers the Sun."

Mmmm hmmm...OK.

Of course I don't read these papers...I'm too busy trying to comprehend the cognitive frames that factor in the social construction of an environmental problem (i.e. studying again...).
Anyway, it'd be The Sunday Sport or somesuch in this house headlining with "SBS gatecrashed my wedding reception". But hang on...didn't that happen?...

"...F-Troop memo - doing the insider circuit?"
"...poo'fing of Rose & SM's latest..."
Obviously, I've missed something...quelle surprise!!

>>By bikergirl   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 11:04)

I almost feel obliged to say: "May I pass comment on AM's statement Bosnia?" ; )

It probably would be too complicated for him because he has no experience of Bosnia, if the newspapers are to be believed, inclusive general chit-chat around Hereford.

As for AM comment:: "about Bosnië, but that subject is too complicated. No one understand the situation over there, certainly not in our country."

Again, it all comes down to school education (history). The trouble within the states of the former Yugoslavia they were subject to a long history of conflict (religious/cultural). When Tito took power he turned the country into a united state, but with that kind of power there will always be a sense of Iron-Fist control, nevertheless Yugoslavia prospered and was recongnised on the world stage, but when Tito died the state divided and with that came anarchy, war, tenuous peace, divide and rule policies, then big trouble flared up again similar to that pre WW2. During WW2 the Serbs and Croats allied to opposing forces: Germany Vs Allied Forces, and that split, like many other countries during WW2 remained the root of contemporary troubles/struggles. In the same way the Israelis and Palestinians cannot seem to live together (not surprising given their history), so the Croats and Serbs have unfinished business that dates back centuries, Orthodox Vs Islam.

>>By devonwren   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 11:21)

Listen up McNab - a brief history of Yugoslavia, as taken from within my private history collection (bookshelves):

Bosnia and Herzegovina (Serbo-Croat) comprises 51,129 sq km, it's capital is Sarajevo. Majority language that of Serbian variant of Serbo-Croat. Religion Serbian Orthodox, Sunni Muslim, (same as Saddam Hussen), and Roman Catholic. <<scary mix - yes?>>

B & H was a Roman province ( Illiria) and later enjoyed brief periods of independence in medieval times, until it was ruled by the Ottoman Empire (Turkey - a muslim state) 14-63-1878 and Austria 18-78- and in 19-18, when it was incorporated into the future Yugoslavia..

Ist Bosnian Crisis occurred in 1908, when Austria attempted to capitalise on Turkish weakness after the "Young Turk Revolt", by annexing the provinces of B & H. Austria obtained Russian approval in exchange for conceding Russian access to the Bosporus Straits, meantime Russia failed to obtain necessary French and British aggreements on the straits. <<Diplomatic tension>>

History of Straits: Bosporus (Turkish Karedeniz Bogazi) Strait joing the Black Sea with the Sea of Marmara - forming part of the water division between Europe and Asia. Istanbul stands on its West side. The "Bosporus Bridge" (1973) links Instanbul and Turkey-in-Asia.. Second bridge built in 1988.

Croatia (Serbo-Croat Hrvatska) comprises 56,538 sq km edging Adriatic coastline and Julian & Styrian Alps, its capital is Zagreb. Majority language that of Croation variant of Serbo-Croat.

Croatia was part of Pannonia in Roman times, settled by "Carpathian Croats" in the 7th century: 800 yrs from 1102 as autonomous kingdom under the Hungarian Crown, which became Austrian crownland 1849, and Hungarian crownland 1886, included into the kingdom of the Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes in 1918 (Yugoslavia from 1931). It was a puppet state under Natzi rule in WW2, and remained a centre for nationalist and separatist demands from the 1970s.

Brief on Carpathian peoples: Central European range of mountains through Czechoslovakia-Poland-USSR-Romania, religion mainly Orthodox/Catholic

Slovenia (Slovenija) lies in NW Yugoslavia, comprises 20,251 sq km, its capital is Ljubljana.
Language: Slovene, resembling Serbo-Croat, writen in Roman characters. Religion: Roman Catholic. History: settled by Slovenes' in 6th century; up until 1918 it was the Austrian province of Carniola, an autonimous republic in Yugoslavia 1946.

Tito: Adopted name of Josip Broz (1882-1980). He was a Yugoslave soldier and communist
Politician. In WW2 he organised the NLA (National Liberation Army) to carry out guerrilla warfare against the German invasion 1941, and was created Marshal in 1943. He became Prime Minister 1946-1953, and president in 1953: and as president he followed a foreign policy of Neutrality same as Switzerland/Sweden et al. It is worth noting that under Tito's rule Yuogslavia became a holiday paradise for European travellers, half its success and income was built on tourism, that is until the 2nd Bosnian Crisis and all that entailed/revealed: massacres of brutal feudalism post Tito.

You may now settle down AM, and write a book about Bosnia...If you need any help, give me a call...

>>By devonwren   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 12:48)

Take a fast-track history lesson, and see the connection with the Chetnik terrorist underground.

I did a quick search of Tito to find stuff (anyone interested) you can read, seeing as you don't have access to my books.

http://www.trussel.com/hf/tito.htm

>>By devonwren   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 13:08)

Ain't read this insider memo - if it comes to me I'd post it here.
Guess I'm not on the radar of SM and Rose. Why don't you both get a life. Don't you realise F-Troop will always rally.

I have polarised shades I use for watching trout. Brown trout.

Very ture what you say Readit. At the end of the day technology is just a crutch.

My nickname at work is Knobber - thanks for the explanation Borrisette!

>>By Nomad   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 13:36)

Seems I'm not the only one out of the memo loop, can't say I'm sad about that...

>>By Bethan   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 15:01)

Oh my Nomad, I don't think I'll get that word out of my head now...knobber...wish you hadn't told me that. And after I just explained about the punishment hat to you - you do realise if you provocation will exclude punishment??? :o))

Nice work DW, if one of the next books will be about Bosnia, you know heads will turn your way when the subject of ghostwriters comes up again ;o))

Do you think we can challenge AM enough to explain about (not having?) ghostwriters in one of his next interviews??

>>By Lynn   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 15:02)

(you see, laughing so hard can't even write decent English... )
= you do realise provocation will exclude punishment???
(no comments about my decent English please)

>>By Lynn   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 15:06)

I'm not getting in on the Nomad-knobber thingy, though it is amusing that British "beat" Policemen were/are often referred to as "knobby" - something to do with their bell-shaped helmets...

Keeping straight face <<difficult at this juncture>>, and on to heads turning my way re ghostwriter/McNab....<<in stitches now>>...he's been accused of almost every crime in the writers' handbook, husband/partner league by his enemies, (death threats must be closer to home than first thought) so if he steals my little brief on Bosnian history he's welcome: it'll save him a few bucks on a researcher...

>>By devonwren   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 16:24)

Blimey ole Riley, all that memo sh*t was about me repeating readit's estimation of Chamonix as a crap resort for anything other than apres ski loutish behaviour gratis mentality of common beer-swilling football hooliganlike wouldbe Sloane Rangers (out of fashion as Sloanes these days). And, that anyone who's anyone is no longer patronising said resort, and French ski enthusiasts doing a runner to the Pyrenees as well.

I can understand all that, because at one time Chamonix was renowned for good skiing, and a few here know about the "hut", but it's only natural when pistes become overcrowded and plagued with Yahoo Henry-ites then the real skiing enthusiasts will shift to virgin slopes...

>>By devonwren   (Tuesday, 24 Feb 2004 16:37)

Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... 297
The discussion board is currently closed.